As you may have heard, the Philippines was devastated by a typhoon and continues to reel from flooding and subsequent monsoons in the area. There have already been more than 20 named typhoons during this 2015 typhoon season. Through these catastrophes, the world’s attention has focused on the needs of the poor in the Philippines.
Our mission will take place on Busuanga Island, Philippines in February 2016.
Our base of operations will be in the town of Coron, about 150 miles southwest of Manila and approximately 55 minutes by air.
Despite infrastructure improvements since the devastation of Typhoon Yolanda in 2013, residents of Busuanga Island remain well below the poverty. Their primary source of income is tourism. Their fishing industry has died out due to a lack of resources.
Busuanga Island is an island of over 100,000 people. Within the island are over 30 villages but healthcare is only available in the main town of Coron. The District Hospital is an outdated facility where most of the equipment is in need of repair. There are only three physicians on staff for the entire island, two dentists, and eight nurses.
Accomplishments so far in 2015
- Medical missions have been conducted throughout Busuanga Island with more than 1,200 medical and dental patients treated.
- Prescribed and dispensed over 2,000 prescriptions.
- Distributed food and clothing in each of three villages served as well as in the main town of Coron.
- Provided medical equipment such as glucometers, nebulizers, blood pressure monitors, and instraosseous vascular access systems.
- More than 200 health care volunteers have been trained on the use of medical equipment provided to service the 34 villages on the island.
- MVP Water Filters have been distributed to each village to provide over 1 million gallons of drinking water.
Donations are needed!
Our Goals for 2016
- Continue medical and dental outreach to residents of Busuanga Island.
- Identify more remote areas where healthcare is non-existent.
- Assess and follow up on care already provided.
- Distribute bibles and tracts into every village the mission visits
- Connect with local Christian churches for discipleship
- Expand our reach to share the Word
3. Education / Training
- Conduct dental hygiene classes in each village we service.
- Follow up training on medical equipment provided.
- Other Objectives
4. Fundraising Needs
- Trip Cost – $2,500/person
- Trip cost includes airfare, accommodations, and all meals.
- 1 Group transportation within the island is also included.
- Expenses for individual transportation, vaccinations, and personal expenses are not included.
5. Medical Equipment
- Echocardiogram Machine for District hospital
- X-ray Machine for Rural Health Clinic in Coron (Cost: $65-100k)
- Water Filters – MVP Water Filters from Waves4Water ($59/filter)
- Medicines – $3,000
You can be part of this effort through your financial support, if you feel so led. Support a team member or help raise funds for medical supplies and other material to support our mission. Whatever you contribute would be greatly appreciated, and is fully tax deductible (non-refundable).
Please make your to:
BRIDGES TO THE NATIONS
225 West Torrance Blvd., Suite D
Carson, California 90745
Thank you for your prayers and support in partnering with us as we touch the people of the Philippines. More news about the status of this mission will be updated shortly.